Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hooray for Bravery!

I don't know when I got guts. Now, OK, maybe not eventing or steeplechase guts. But for me, this was guts.
So all of our pretty hunter jumps are out in the field now, which of course brings new challenges.
Like terrain challenges. Now offering uphill (fun!) and downhill (err...not so much), from the people who brought you towards the trees (lots of leg) and towards the barn (hold down the line!).
Like your horse realizing he's back on his turf. "Ooh, I know this place! It's where I buck and run and roll and do things unrelated to being supple around turns and being on the bit and jumping in a sane, collected manner!"
Well, OK, two challenges. But big challenges nonetheless.
I guess, to be fair, we started out in the ring with a nice little Training Level dressage test. So far, so good. We were actually bending today, and even being fairly consistent about maintaining that round, on-the-bit feeling (you know, that one that makes you feel like beaming for the rest of the day? That, in "fun size"). A little wiggly around our makeshift dressage arena, but I know that's an issue that won't be resolved in a day.
We seemed to be sane over the brick warm-up jump in the field, though there was a trotting pole, and God forbid we should trot a pole when it can be cantered. Actually, with a little half-halt to remind Blue that he didn't have to be a freight train to the jump and remind him of our frame from earlier, we resolved that. Yay us!
The course was fun...it jumps like a figure eight. There's a neat uphill bending line, from the aforementioned brick to a simple white vertical to a nice yellow gate. Simple. We mix things up with a downhill stone jump (to gently remind us of the perils of terrain) which leads further downhill to the cross country crossrail of horror. Which comes back to a nice level cross country gate. Which goes back to gently sloping stone, and then not-so-gently sloping red vertical, and then the nice, friendly, and fun gate going uphill. None of these are large, but what I lovingly refer to as "confidence builders".
The brick was chipped, from my recollection, and I believe the ground line on the white was on the wrong side, so Blue did a double take and chipped that, too. I growled, "No more chips!" and we jumped the yellow gate nicely. I wisely sat back for the downhill stone, and wasted no time turning to my crop in to aid in picking up the correct lead (darn this horse! flying lead changes are so much less effort, even on his part!) and FLYING downhill to the crossrail of torture. Using a pulsating outside rein to no avail, we get in deep to the crossrail but it's OK because it gives Blue an excuse to lift his knees like I know he can! We had a fun little "stick my neck out and pretend I'm a racehorse" gallop, and I got left behind at the white gate but managed to halfway redeem myself by not smacking his back in mid-air and somehow learning to slip him the reins and not catch him in the mouth. Back to the semi-friendly stone, which goes nicely but we AGAIN pick up the wrong lead and manage to change right before the not-so-friendly red vertical. Getting my weight WAY behind on his hindquarters is now a priority, and it pays off because the vertical goes nicely. And, as a piece d'resistance, we have a spirited hand-gallop to a big, bold last fence, the inviting gate.
My instructor and I managed to have a nice chat over salad wraps this evening, and she says she's been quite impressed with my show of confidence over the last weeks. I tell her I honestly had no idea I had it in me. Oh no! I am turning into one of those typical teenage riders who can ride anything without fear! Must I change the name of the blog???
Let's not go crazy. Let's remember that I'm on Bombproof Jumper Who's Been There, Done That and Bought The T-Shirt who wouldn't pull nearly the shit that a non-comatose horse would, he's being ridden by two other people currently, and when faced with a more flighty mount (as I surely will next week at Summer Camp Where I Don't Have Blue Until Friday) I would surely live up my expectations.
In more disappointing news, even though this lesson was focusing on preparing for the Starter Horse Trials we will attend next month, I don't think I can wrest Blue from the grip of the two other eventing die-hards that ride him. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but truth be told I live for the ring and I'm going to save my good karma from bowing out to land my place in one of the summer's coming jumper shows. Whee! Do I truly have what it takes? Guess we'll find out! I'll go groom though, so I'll definitely have a report on how Blue does.

No comments: