Friday, June 13, 2008

So Why'd I Start This Again?

Well, I guess the idea for a blog came to me today, really.
I have been a long-time reader of the Fugly Horse of the Day blog, the spinoff Training the Very Large Colt, and many of the other associated training blogs, so I figured, hey, what the heck?
Well, there are some other components, too. I have a different story to tell. I am not a re-rider, I am a teenage, longtime rider who doesn't fit the typical mold of the bold young rider. It's just not my personality. I'm very methodical, and Type A about everything, and paired with my timidness it makes me more likely to slow down and master skills individually before pushing to the next level. It is my greatest strength as a rider, but also my greatest weakness.
I half-lease (actually, right now, third lease) a slightly-fugly Appendix/Appaloosa gelding named Blue. I might be biased, but this horse has style to spare paired with a good (albeit lazy) mind and a zany personality. While I love him for who he is, it is my personal goal to make both of us better. I want to be more effective, and I want him to be more forward-thinking and less sticky over fences.
Part of the purpose of this blog is to chronicle our progress. I am by no means naturally talented, but I believe that I can improve by keeping track of where we are in what point of time.
I'll warn you now - I'll post pictures and while I'm striving to reach George Morris's classical seat, I'm not there yet. I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE critique, and thoughts.
Another disadvantage of mine that I hope to overcome with this blog is my inability to ride every day, or ride my own horse. Hopefully this will help me remember how Blue's responding to his training.
Yeah, I know this post is really boring, but the summer's only just begun and with a character like Blue in the barn, there's no doubt it'll be an interesting one.

No comments: