Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I'm Not a Runaway - I Just Like to Run!

So I rode Mia again today, and we were on decidedly better terms. But my instructor and I knew that we were undertaking the ultimate test today - jumping in the field with Crazy Horse. We upped the ante in my favor - draw reins to help Mia learn to use her head and neck, and (less so) an insurance policy should the mare throw her head up in the air and refuse to listen to reason.
Mia went very well under saddle, and I think this is the first time I've gotten a shoulder-in from a horse with so little effort on my part. All I needed was to keep her from overbending (she started moving in four seperate tracks) and she would happily keep up the work. Normally with Blue, shoulder-in is a battle, in that he will overbend his neck so it appears that he's making an effort, but he keeps moving in two tracks. It takes a lot of sophisiticated signalling to convince him that yes, shoulder-in does mean actual effort.
I still hate her canter. I actually got her working very well at the trot, and she is beginning to understand the concept of contact, though she has a ways to go. Her canter, however, is still bouncy and short-strided and it really works my lower back to avoid slamming down on her back each stride.
When it came time to jump, I was a bit nervous. Mia very clearly needed no forward aids, but aside from that was being a star. She's got a very nice natural jump, and I'm not sure whether she always finds the right spot so easily or whether my holding her made it pretty clear. The only times she got fussy and quick were when we were approaching a downhill jump. At the last jump, an uphill "fun fence", she began to get very antsy and tried to gallop a bit. Luckily, some handy half-halting made her come back to a reasonable, though still quick pace.
I realized the fundamental difference between Blue and Mia is that while Blue needs constant corrections, Mia only wants direction. She won't have the constant feedback I'm used to giving. She only wants to know what jump she's going to, where she's going after that, where she's supposed to take off, and when her lead needs to change. She'd much prefer that I, aside from answering those questions, stay off her and let her do her job. Which is refreshing, as I get told that so rarely.
All in all, I'm actually starting to enjoy riding Mia. Sure, she likes to take charge on the course, but it's not like she's running away with me; her response to the half-halt today shows she's still with me mentally, and if I can convince her that my idea is a good one, she's apt to agree with me. Tomorrow's Game Day at camp; so we'll get to run around the barrels and poles and have some fun! (And work on position...you know you can't ride those barrels unless your heels are down and you're looking up! :) )

No comments: