Sunday, July 6, 2008

Three Rides in Three Days

I got a bit caught up in the events of the last couple days, so I'll condense the accounts of my last three rides on Blue.
THURSDAY - Sara had to leave camp early due to an emergency, and we had to wait to ride until the farrier finished up with the horses, so I had full access to Blue. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, our flatwork was rushed, meaning that Blue was a bit dull and late to respond over fences. Nothing horrible, but it could've been a lot better.
FRIDAY - The end of camp culminated in a mini-horse trials. I rode the dressage part on Mia. I thought she was pokey so I didn't restrain her head at all for fear it would interfere with her impulsion, though I was told later she seemed to be going at a good, consistent pace. She bent around corners and circles well, and overall I was quite pleased with how far we'd come in just three days. After the dressage test, I put Mia up in her stall and prepared for our cross-country course.
This course was a thing of beauty. Our farm encompasses four fields, three adjacent to each other and one just a bit away. The "starting box" was the arena, and the challenges on-course involved jumping from the arena, jumping obstacles placed where the pasture gates would be, and odd challenges such as jumping water buckets. Blue is such a brave boy - he jumped everything the first time. Blue and I cruised through the course to set the fastest time. But the part I was happiest about was the fact that I was never truly intimidated by the course. I stayed with Blue's jump for the most part, and overall I think it was a course well-ridden! In lieu of the stadium round, we chose to do the course again, since it took so much effort to put up (though I had voted to continue to stadium!) which produced similar results. We ended up winning the event, and Blue got a nice, bracing liniment bath.
SATURDAY - But you know what they say about horses? They don't really tolerate ego strokes well. Which is why Blue did a great job of showing me that I really am not done learning yet. On the contrary, I've got quite a ways to go.
I rode in the field with spurs, which upon reflection was a good idea. Unfortunately, since I wasn't used to it I underestimated the effect it would have over fences. I guess first I should mention that flatwork went fairly well, though I must be careful to avoid nagging Blue with my legs - he was quite perky but I have a hard time accepting anything less than my ideal, which I'm working on.
A spook before the warm-up jump (a vertical in a hollow, so both directions meant a downhill approach) made us both tense. Blue has a disdain for trotting jumps in the first place.
Increased Momentum Downhill + Tense Horse = Cantering the Jump
Both of us eventually settled down, and we trotted the jump a couple of times.
For the figure-8 course making its appearance again this week, it went pretty well until a downhill vertical. I asked for the big jump, and then didn't think I'd get it, so I got left behind when Blue followed my advice. See, the spurs sharpened the aid and I wasn't used to such a prompt response, but Blue got the signal loud and clear. Spurs are proving to be an education for both of us, but at the same time I am getting results from Mr. Non-Responsive that I never would get otherwise with them. In other news, the rest of the course went pretty well (when I looked up and got into proper jumping position) except I need to stop ALWAYS asking for the big jump. I guess I need to start learning to adjust Blue's stride BEFORE the last three strides, but that comes with experience.
We moved the jumps into the ring for the barn's student show next week, which I'm not riding in for various reasons (it's going to be one of Sara's last shows before college, finances, I want to see what kind of horse show photographer I can be) but I'd like to see how riding in the field has translated to my courses in the ring. Believe me, I'll let you know as it happens!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do you jump your horse almost every day? that must be hard on his legs...

rhinestone said...

I ride Blue three days a week, most times. I hack one of those days, and the other two days are spent jumping little fences, mostly lines. Only when there's a show approaching or another special occasion does he get jumped anything significant (over 2'6"). The times I've been mentioning were unusual (horse camp only happens about 2 5-day weeks per year) and the jumps stayed at about 2'.