Friday, July 25, 2008

So Lost In Thought, I Couldn't Blog...

...or something like that. ;)

I'll make a long story short. For the past two weeks, I've grown more confident than I believed I could. I realized that if I kept my heels down, sank my hips back, and looked up over a fence, Blue would jump it.

So, I had to change the name and purpose of the blog. Especially after I rode the chicken OTTB cross-country and he almost galloped off with me and I stayed on and lived. Maybe acknowledging the fact I was chickenshit in the blog helped me accept and move past it?

Or, more likely, I've reached the end of a long plateau. Time to move up the steppe now.

What I've discovered are that most of the problems I have with Blue, his owner also has. Granted, these problems only show up when she has a bad day, but at their core they are the same. Which has helped me accept them, and that we may never eliminate them altogether. The horse is, after all, 11, and old dogs can only learn so many new tricks.

But we can certainly try to improve. It's happened already. You know my short-strided guy? He got the normal distance down a line, and then left a stride out.

No, I don't expect ALL our progress to move so quickly. It's just that a lot of analysis and work have gone into this progress, and you know I'll keep you posted on the next batch. When I remember to blog, that is.

Oh, and did I mention I galloped Blue bareback in the field in a snaffle? Yeah, comfort zone expanding and all that. =D

No comments: