Monday, July 28, 2008

Just in Time for the Olympics - Gymnastics!

Of the equestrian variety, of course!

Our final week of horse camp began this week with building a small course. One of the primary features of that course? A gymnastic! I love gymnastics...I love being able to feel my horse analyze and figure out the striding, and of course I love the fact that I can work on my toughest challenge - doing nothing! A great opportunity to work on position over fences!
I hadn't ridden Blue in over a week, though I did get a ride on Tex, an aforementioned OTTB who is probably the equine equivalent of my personality - very cautious, a perfectionist, eager to please, but can't really overcome himself without an authoritative partner. It was a good experience - Tex is a pleasure to ride on the flat, and he really helps me get my eyes up over fences. Then, there was the trail ride, which was relaxing but definitely a workout (2 hours posting in a Western saddle!).
So it's the first time I've been on Blue in awhile, and you'd have thought I'd never left. I'm beginning to maintain a solid connection, and there have been some moments that have bordered on...nirvana. You know, the moment where you can finally feel the horse and yourself working together, and you both understand what each other is asking? Yeah, that one. =D
The gymnastic went well. My smart boy settled right into it, and I have been working on slipping my hips back over jumps. This has the effect of keeping my upper body from climbing his neck, and pressing my weight into my heels. This position thing is like piecing together a puzzle - each time I turn the piece, I see a place where it can fit and make the whole picture a little bit clearer.
We ended the day learning how to identify lameness. It's still pretty challenging, but I figure it's one of those things you learn by experience. I'll keep you posted, I promise.

No comments: